March 05, 2007


I have been listening to Jarvis Cocker's solo album almost non-stop for four days now. Every chance I get--washing dishes, taking a box downstairs, riding the bus, walking, sitting, standing--I grab my headphones, my zune, and listen to this album. It's funny though because at least since Different Class (I think), Pulp albums encourage you to not read the lyrics whilst listening to the record. This is well advised, or at least some version of it. When I first got the album in the mail (instead of downloading it like a 21st century boy), I read through the liner notes and glanced over the lyrics. I was wondering if the album would contain sublime lyrical gems like those found on the last Pulp album, We Love Life. Lines like: "Yeah the Trees, those useless trees / produce the air that I am breathing / Yeah the trees, those useless trees / they never said that you are leaving" and "I love my life / It's the only reason I'm alive." I love the slighly warped, punning qualities of these lines. They tend to lead you back to where you started but with a slightly different view than when you began. In any case, I was worried I wouldn't like the new solo album based on the lyrics alone. The first main track sounds like a good old fashioned brit pop rocker, reminding me of Morrissey for one. Then things get weird but still poppy in the next track, Black Magic. It has a really vocal loop that reminds me of TRex (well, really Flo and Eddie, the Incredi-Voices). The rest of the songs have taken longer to digest but all contain interesting, thought provoking, and moving moments. I love the moments in Big Julie where forlorn sound of a train seems to whine in the background. The chorus of Disney Time is haunting and scary, and contains the line: "Why do they call them adult movies / When all they show / Is making babies, filmed up close."

No comments: